Today my mom would be proud of me because I am going to repeat something she told me a lot: eat more vegetables.
When I was a kid, I used to want to eat only 2 things: pasta and ham. It was a nightmare for my parents, three kids extremely selective with foods, bye bye social life.
It took us a really long time to change the way we eat. Most importantly, it was long and it took a conscious effort to see and feel the benefits of it in our bodies.
And I just realized recently how the way we eat evolve with time, education, money, culture and also trends! Since I live on my own, I cook almost everything I eat to save money but also make sure I don’t have too much chemical ingredients on my food.
A couple of years ago my food cart was just about buying things I wanted to eat for pleasure. Now I want to eat good food for the taste but I want it to be good for my body. I want energy, keep my organism and my gut clean, skin and care as good as possible.
So, when I go grocery shopping, I have two priorities: get good protein and different fruits and vegetables. Both are really important but today I will just make a quick reminder of the benefits of having different vegetables in your kitchen.
- It’s a great way to diversify your food intake. That’s a hell of a reason to have them, you have all the colors, size and different ways to cook them so you can avoid more easily to be bored.
- They are full of vitamins really important for your internal functions.
- It’s helping us maintain a healthy acid level in our organism.
- Scientists proved they help reducing the risk of cancers.
- They help your digestion on a daily basis because they are full of fibers.
- They contain a lot of anti-oxidant good for the skin (aging of the skin is slower)
- They are an additional source of hydration for the body, some of them like the cucumber are particularly good for that.
- They help maintain bone density and so, reduce osteoporosis.
- Because they reduce the catabolism of the body (degradation of the muscular mass) they help recover after a workout.
- Aaaaaaand for the one of us worrying about their shape, they contain a very few calories so you can have a lot!
Now I know, all of these seems very good healthy, reasons to have vegetables. The most important step missing is to find a way to cook them in different ways, with different seasonings and different sides.
Have fun in the kitchen with it and keep it simple !